Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Good Wife Potato Salad

The Good Husband called me from work yesterday afternoon to say his company was having a last minute potluck today and he wanted me to bring a dish. My go-to potluck dish is potato salad. It is one of those dishes that I love to make but don't really care to eat. I can eat a small dish of potato salad but it is not my all time favorite. Since I am not tempted to eat most of it as I am making it, it makes for a big dish to bring to any potluck.

But I make this version, The Good Wife Potato Salad, for family get togethers and it is always a hit. Regular potato salad can be kinda blah so I spice mine up a bit. Note: This recipe is for a large serving for a get together. You can easily cut it in half.

Ingredients:
10 large potatoes, I used red
4 eggs
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tablespoon celery seed
1/2 cup mustard
2 cups mayonnaise, I use a combination of both real mayonnaise and Miracle Whip
4 slices of thick cut bacon
1 bunch of green onion, chopped
Paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
~Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 large pinches of salt. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and chop.

~In a skillet over medium heat, brown the bacon. When browned, remove from pan, drain on paper towels and crumble. Set aside.

~While you peel the potatoes, place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover and boil eggs for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from water, cool, peel and chop, reserving one egg for garnish.

~In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, 3 of the chopped eggs, celery, onion, celery seed, mustard, pepper, salt and mayonnaise. Mix well to combine.

~To garnish, slice the hard boiled egg into thin slices. Arrange the slices around the edges of the bowl, evenly spacing them. Sprinkle the bacon crumbles over the top and lightly dust the top with paprika. Finish the dish with the chopped green onion. Let sit overnight to combine the flavors.

No comments: