Friday, October 24, 2008

Colleen's Potatoes

This is yet another dish I was introduced to at a family gathering. I will say that having such a large family that I married into has it's benefits. I like this dish for several reasons; 1.) it adds to my potato repertoire, 2.) it is just cheesy goodness, 3.) it has a stick of butter in it, and 4.) another half stick of butter in the topping.

How can you not love that? I am actually kinda pissed that I gave The Good Husband the last of the leftovers for lunch today. Oh well.

I get a feeling that this is a dish that goes by several names. When describing the cheesy, buttery goodness to my mom she said, "Duh! That is Texas Potatoes." This from a woman that never cooks. But a quick google sure enough provides for similar recipes.

I don't care what they say. This dish will always be "Colleen's Potatoes" in the Good Household, a tribute to the best aunt ever!

Ingredients:
1 pkg. frozen Southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed (the little square kind)
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups (16 oz.) sour cream

Topping:
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cup crushed cornflakes

Directions:
~Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

~Combine the first nine ingredients. Mix thoroughly to combine. Pour into buttered 9x13 baking dish.

~Combine cornflakes and melted butter and top casserole. (I like to crush the cornflakes in a plastic bag using a rolling pin).

~Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes until the topping has browned and the center is heated through.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Crap, I really want to make these now. Yum.