Monday, December 28, 2009

Peppermint Bark

Besides the buckeyes I made last year, this is only the second time I have made candy. It was so super easy that I might play around with the combination and make several different kinds.


I used button mints from the bulk candy aisle at the grocery store. I wasn't able to smash all of them into nice small pieces, so I might buy a pack of candy canes for the next time. I also stirred the powdered mints into the white chocolate before I sprinkled the larger pieces on top, hoping for a red studded white chocolate. I think it turned out well.

I would recommend letting the bark come to room temperature before breaking, so you don't end up with jagged edges like I got.

Ingredients:
1 pound chocolate (I used semisweet but I think I will use a combo of SS and dark next time)
1 pound white chocolate
30-40 button mints or 1 package of candy canes, crushed

Directions:
~Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth. Pour in an even layer on a wax paper-lined baking sheet, using a spatula to smooth out the chocolate. Place in fridge to harden, approximately 2 hours. You can also place in the freezer for 30 minutes.

~Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler until smooth. Add some of the crushed mints to the white chocolate and stir to combine. Spread on top of the chocolate layer. Working quickly before the white chocolate sets, sprinkle the crushed mints on top and gently press into the chocolate. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.

~Allow the bark to come to room temperature and break into pieces.

recipe by: The Good Wife

No comments: