Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Good Family Vacation, Part 2 - The Food

There are some foods that are just so southern that you have to try them - fried chicken, collard greens, shrimp and grits, sweet tea.

The day we went to the beach we ate at Magnolias @ 26th Restaurant, a southern style buffet that had food to make Paula Dean jealous. I devoured the fried chicken and it was the best I have ever had. Seriously. I don't know what they did to make it so damn good but it was like crack. I also inhaled the fried squash.

I then had a huge helping of collard greens with vinegar and I.Did.Not.Like.Not.Even.A.Little.Bit. I really wanted to like it and I ate it all but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Speaking of tea, I did drink about 4 gallons of sweet tea while on vacation. It was like tea flavored kool-aide.

We also ate at a place called Cooters. No review necessary.

While in Charleston we ate at Hymans Seafood. I really wanted to try the shrimp and grits but it was in the 100s and I was scared with the heat I would get sick. We waited a short 30 minutes before getting our table which by the way:


Then came boiled peanuts. Also did not like.


The fried green tomatoes were good. The spicy mayo dipping sauce was the best part. TGB did not like these.

Since I was afraid of the shrimp and grits, I ordered a buffalo shrimp po' boy instead. It was a generous sized sandwich and I almost did get sick afterward since it was a lot of food to eat.

TGB loved the hush puppies.


I am sad that I didn't get to try shrimp and grits but I guess I will have to try it next time we visit The South.

No comments: