Monday, May 2, 2011

The Brains of the Operation

I try to be organized.

I file away all our statements and receipts and I have all our paperwork in the file cabinet. I have a home address book. I have business cards stored in a drawer in the kitchen. I have a chore list on the fridge.

However, nothing is in one central location. If something were to happen to me, all our household info gets lost. So I hopped on the bandwagon and created this Household Binder, aka the Brains of the Operation.


Like any good white suburban girl, I headed over to Target to pick up some binders. I got this one and one that is brown with the same pattern.


I picked up the pouch and divers at OfficeMax/Staples/OfficeDepot. Inside I have a small notebook, also from Target and misc coupons and vouchers for things like free movies that don't belong with my food coupons.


Since The Good Daughter doesn't have much of a social life yet and certainly no school work, my BotO is a little thin. However, now when The Good Husband is freaking out b/c he needs to know an account number for something, he can look in here, instead of tearing the house apart looking for said account number.

I know BotO will grow over time (and get smarter LOL) but I have built a solid foundation with the following categories:

Auto
Budget and Finance
Calendar
Cleaning Schedules
Contacts
Daily Schedules
Food and Menu Planning

In the next few weeks, I will highlight each section and share the templates I have created for each.

2 comments:

Jen said...

looking forward to this - esp. the finance part. will you put passwords in? that is always the sticking point, eh? get everything in one spot and then it's all in one spot for good and bad.

The Good Wife said...

I've thought about this Jen. On the one hand, I don't see anyone breaking into the house to grab the flat screen and the household binder. On the other hand, it does feel like I am sitting naked on the desk.

I will probably keep them in a separate place from everything else.