Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kohlrabi Slaw

This week I had to figure out what to do with kohlrabi. I have never had it before, have never seen it at the store and didn't know what it tasted like at all.

Luckily I just happen to catch a small recipe in Martha Stewart's Living magazine. I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office, so I didn't have time to copy it. I just saw the words kohlrabi, slaw and apples. So I really just winged this dish.

But it was really great. The kohlrabi has a nice mild flavor and gives the slaw a nice crunch. I used green apples in this dish, but you can use any type. I am actually not a big fan of green apples, but I had already eaten all the red apples, leaving The Good Husband and The Good Daughter the greens, so I had to make due.

This is a nice simple dish that I would take to any summer cookout.

Ingredients:
Kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks
Apple, peeled cut into matchsticks
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
~Toss all ingredients until well combine and serve.

NOTE: if the kohlrabi are young and tender, there is no need to peel the bulb, otherwise peel the outer skin. I peeled both the kohlrabi and half the apple in this dish.

recipe by:The Good Wife

No comments: