Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

I have a weakness for ice cream and with the last heat wave we had here in the Midwest, I am starting to think that it is an essential survival tool.

Since I have already made vanilla and birthday cake ice cream, I thought it was time to add in candy and shit. Mint chocolate chip ice cream is in my top five favorite flavors, so I thought I would start there.

The base for this contained egg yolks, so it made for a rich flavor. Since the base wasn't very ass friendly with all the yolks, I swapped out the whole milk and cream for 2% and half and half. I used all organic dairy, sugar and eggs since I knew The Good Daughter would eat just as much of this as we did. But you don't have to go the organic route if you and your wallet can't. I also used mint baking chips instead of regular chocolate chips, since I saw them at the store and bought them during a chocolate craving.

I put a heavy pinch of salt in this and it was almost too much. I will have to remedy that next time.

Needless to say, this lasted about 3 days in the freezer before it was eaten. I will have to make more in order to survive the next heat wave.

Ingredients:
2 cups organic half and half, divided
1½ cups organic 2% milk
¾ cup granulated organic sugar
Pinch of salt
4 organic egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons mint extract
½ cup mint baking chips

Directions:
~Warm 1 cup of the half and half, 2% milk, granulated sugar and pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.

~Pour the remaining 1 cup of half and half into a large bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Slowly pour the warm mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly, then scrape the warmed egg yolks back into the saucepan.

~Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat, scraping the bottom as you stir, until the mixture thickens and coats the of a spatula. Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the half and half. Add the vanilla and mint extracts, and stir until cool.

~Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator (preferably overnight). Churn according to your ice cream maker’s directions, adding the mint baking chips during the last 5 minutes of churning.

Recipe modified from: Brown Eyed Baker

No comments: