Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fried Okra

So this week, I got okra in my CSA. I mentioned that I only had it once before and it was slimmy. I don't like okra and for the first time I actually thought I would see if I could trade with somone so I didn't have to eat it. But I sacked up and took it home. But was at a loss on how to eat it.

So how do you eat a veggie you're not sure you like? You fry the shit out of it. At least that's what we do in the Midwest and most of the South.

I have a friend that lives in TN and she gave me her tips for fried okra. She also told me her basic recipe, so than you so much V!

These turned out way better than expected. First off, I have never fried in straight cornmeal and that added a unique flavor and crunch. I also tried to slice the okra thin. I found the pieces that were a little thick leaned towards the slimy side. But overall, I would give this dish a 8 out of 10 with room for improvement. If I make them again, I might make a spicy dipping sauce to go with it.

Ingredients:
10 pods okra, sliced in 1/4 inch pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
~In a small bowl, whisk egg and soak okra for 5 to 10 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper.

~Heat oil in a large skillet (I used cast iron) over medium-high heat. Dredge okra in the cornmeal mixture, coating evenly. Carefully place okra in hot oil; stir continuously. Reduce heat to medium when okra first starts to brown, and cook until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and serve.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's so funny - I made a version of fried okra this week and will be posting about it on my blog early next week. You're right, frying stuff does make it better ;-)

Cheese and chocolate work too.