Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 3 of the Weekly Organization Challenge

This is week 3 of The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenge! This week focused on the kitchen pantry, spices and food storage areas.

I've talked before about how I organize my pantry.  I like to group similar items together. The basic breakdown of my pantry is: canned veggies, tuna, soups on the top shelf. The next shelf is for all my baking supplies, while the third is for pasta, rice and side dishes. The fourth shelf is for onions, garlic and taters, while the bottom is extra condiments and canning supplies. I am still not 100% happy with my pantry and probably won't be until I get some pull out shelves, but for now it is organized enough.

Need to know what you should have in your pantry? Check this out. Need a way to track what you actually have in there? Use this pantry inventory.

The next area was spices. Originally I started with this and ended up with this. I am very happy with the results.

The final area for this week focused on food storage. I already store the containers I use the most for lunches in the lunch command center cabinet.

 

Currently I use the Fit N Fresh Lunch on the Go containers (the purple one). You can pack a ton in these things. Usually The Good Husband eats a sandwich, crackers or chips, grapes, baby carrots, raisins and celery and peanut butter. I can fit all that into the container and it holds its own ice pack to keep everything cool. I also have the Salad Shaker (the green one), which I love too. I also have mixer water bottle that is good for making protein shakes on the go. I also have some Stay Fit Snack Stackers and a Stay Fit Snack n Dip container that I loved to use in the diaper bag when The Good Daughter was a baby.

The other food storage area I use mainly for food prep and leftovers.


I like to use the Kinetic Go Green Glasslock Assorted 8-Piece Food Storage Container Set for most of the foods I will use for meal prep. There are three shapes - rectangle, square and circle. I like to stack each shape according to size and store the lids in the center. The really nice thing is that each shape has a different color lid for ease of access.


The bottom shelf of my food storage hold all my Rubbermaid containers. I have both the Easy Find Lids containers and the Produce Saver containers. I like to use the easy find lids (red lids) for lunches and leftovers. TGH takes these to work with him a lot as well. I like to use the Produce Saver containers (green lid) for produce storage and prep. These normally stay at home with us.

 

I bought both container sets years ago, close to 5 years or more and stored them in their boxes in our closet at our old apartment. Since then, Rubbermaid has come out with a line of glass containers that look interesting and should I ever need more, I might purchase them. In the meantime all the containers I have are BPA free, so that makes them safe for my family.

Organize along with me in The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenges

No comments: