Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Week 5 of the Weekly Organization Challenge

This is week 5 of The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenge! This week focused on organizing the freezer.

We are now at the half way point in having a wonderful, completely organized kitchen. Aren't you just bursting with excitement?!

I can't believe I made it to week five before I fell behind in posting. I am sorry for the delay. I was sick this weekend and now The Good Daughter is fighting off a zombie infection, so I have been running on a little sleep and a lot of caffeine. I will also confess that my freezer could stand a major organizing overhaul but for now, I will give you the basic principles I use to organize it.


Just like with the pantry and kitchen cabinets, I like to group similar items together. For the freezer, that translates to roughly veggies, meat, sides and treats.

The organization flow for the freezer involves keeping meat that needs to be used first on the top shelf, at eye level, as well as treats for The Good Daughter. I also like to keep this shelf as uncluttered as possible, so the light in the freezer will work it's way down to the lower shelves. 

The second shelf holds sides like taters and frozen pasta. The third shelf holds meat that doesn't need to be used right away. I like to check dates at the end of the week and move anything close to getting freezer burn to the top shelf so I can use it in the coming days. Frozen veggies live in the bottom shelf to keep all the bags contained.

The shelves hold ice cream and frozen fruit.

I am planning a huge overhaul of the freezer in the coming months as I prepare for the arrival of The Good Son. I have collecting freezer recipes galore, in the hope that he doesn't decide to come three weeks early like his sister. Once I have most of my meals prepared, I will feature my new and improved freezer in another post.


Organize along with me in The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenges

4 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I envy you the upright freezer. Mine is coffin-like and it is hard to organize. You've done a great job with yours. I am new to your blog so I've spent sometime browsing through your earlier posts.I really enjoyed the time I spent here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Marcie said...

Hope you guys feel better soon!!! Loved the post~~~very similar to the way I organize my freezer. If I knew where you were I would make you some of my cure all ills chicken noodle soup (with extra noodles)!!! Take care

The Good Wife said...

Mary, we have a deep freezer that is currently empty but once we fill it, I will do a new post.

The Good Wife said...

Thank you so much for the kind words Marcie. We are both feeling better today.