Sunday, July 15, 2012

Week 17 of the Weekly Organization Challenge

This is week 17 of The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenge! This week focused on CDs and DVDs.

In the living room we have media storage in the center the houses the TV, DVD player and the cable box. But since we are not big movie collectors, the media center is mainly used for housing games.


Of the two drawers in the middle of the entertainment center, the top one houses our small movie collection.

I like to categorize movies by genre (action, comedy, drama, family, war) and within each by title. So the action category contains the following: 300, Bad Boys, Fight Club, Seven and Transformers. Since we have such a small collection, we can keep each movie in their box. As our collection grows we can use the bottom drawer, which is currently empty, as additional storage.


As for CDs, with the invention of the MP3 player, they are going the way of the dinosaur. Both The Good Husband and I have our music stored on our computer and MP3 players. TGH alone has like 1500 hours worth of songs. He was a bit of a techno/bass head in high school and had a TON of CDs. 

I, on the other hand, had quite a small collection and after I transferred all files to my hard drive, I sold what I could at a second hand store. I tell you, there is nothing better in the world than being judged by a 17 year old boy when you are trying to sell your Korn CD and he offers you $2 and a wicked side eye. Trust me, junior, at one point I had glow-in-blacklight hot pink and platinum blonde hair, a tongue ring, a tragus piercing and a tramp stamp. I know it's hard to imagine my 30 year old suburban mom ass as being anything other than lame, but trust when I say I was bad ass and I have zombie decals on my mom wagon currently, thank you very much. 

What I couldn't sell at the second hand store, I sold at yard sales with slightly less judgement or donated. I like to organize both my movies and music by category and then by title/artist. You can check out Netflix to get an idea of movie categories to help you. 

Organize along with me in The Good Wife's Weekly Organization Challenges

No comments: