Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Chili Lime Ramen

I love ramen noodles. 

It is probably due in part to my brokeass college days and how you could by 13 for a fucking dollar back at the local Stop and Shop. I lived on ramen, Mr. Pepper (Dr., to you regular folks) and Marlboro lights. But now that I am older and trying to live healthier, I have ditched the soda and the smokes. 

But I still love me some oodles of noodles. 

The problem is, is all the junk that is in regular ramen. And all that damn salt. It makes me thirsty for weeks. So I decided to turn this cheap eats into something a bit more like real food. And I wanted a flavor that I have never seen on the shelf.


This chili lime ramen would have a big "HOT AND SPICY!" label on the package and that's just the way I like it. I added a *heavy* amount of chili flakes, but you can turn it way down to give a sweet, yet spicy, tangy, yet salty flavor. 

The sauce made enough for two packages of noodles, so you can either half the recipe or save the rest of the sauce for ramen the next day.

Ramen Noodles with Sweet Chili Lime Sauce
Ingredients: 
1 package ramen noodles
3 tablespoons sugar (I used Splenda, since I have the 'betes)
3
tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 3/4
tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 zest of lime
1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes
1 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoons salt




Directions:
~Discard flavor packet from ramen noodles. Cook according to package. Drain.


~Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, whisking to combine. Pour half the sauce over noodles. Eat.


recipe adapted from: here

No comments: